Too Many Good Things Out There Not To Share Them With You!

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

OMG Gummies

OK, I have to try these out so I thought you needed to see them first. I found them over at Skip to My Lou. They are sooooo cute. I'll have to make a few batches fr our upcoming bear picnic in class for a special snack. I think you can find these molds at the Dollar Tree right now so don't be shy. I have never used the molds before so maybe you guys can comment on their ummmmm cooperation. But I will be giving these a try like I said and I already have most of this stuff on hand. I'm sure the candy companies are fuming right now as we are plotting to never again pay their prices for gummy candies. Hooray! So here's how:

Homemade Gummi Candy


All we needed was 1 -3 oz box of flavored gelatin and 2 - 1/4 oz  packages of unflavored gelatin, water and candy molds. (we used two candy molds)

Place 1/3 cup water in a small sauce pan. Sprinkle the Jello and  unflavored gelatin over the water. Let sit 5 - 10 minutes. (If you like chewier gummi candy add in another packet of unflavored gelatin.)
Place sauce pan over medium heat and stir until gelatin is dissolved, about 2-5 minutes. When mixture is liquid and all gelatin has dissolved, remove from heat.  Let cool a minute and then pour into a container that is easy to pour from.  I use a small ceramic creamer pitcher.

Fill molds. If you save the inside of the advent calendar for  projects like do, it works perfect! The sheet of star molds worked a bit better than the bears because they are a bit deeper. However, I must say we were just needing an activity so our standards were pretty low--- we thought they all turned out great!

Allow to cool completely, about 20 minutes. They may be placed in a refrigerator for about 10 minutes if the kids are eager.
Once cool, the backs can be lightly dusted with corn starch, if desired.

Peel the gummi candy out of the molds. Don't be shy, you won't hurt them when peeling them from the molds. No need to oil the molds!

Enjoy!

Make homemade stickers with the unused unflavored gelatin packets.

Notes: My son felt the blue ones weren't flavorful enough. Next time we will try 2 boxes Jello, 3 packages of unflavored gelatin and 1/2 cup water.

No comments:

Post a Comment