Too Many Good Things Out There Not To Share Them With You!

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Cute Little Bow or Brooch


Another from Skip to my Lou. I think I will make a few for my niece. 


I am thrilled to share the cutest little project from Calli at Make It Doblog, a felt poinsettia hair clip.  I am hoping to make one of these today for my daughter to wear on Christmas Eve.
Be sure to visit Make It Do, her blog is overflowing with creative ideas. Calli says, "In this blog I want to explore how happiness can come from simple things, and how good old fashioned hard work and resourcefulness might just be making a welcome comeback…."
Calli writes...
Yesterday, my girls and I were working on a few Christmas gifts for their friends.  One thing led to another and I found myself making yet another flower pin.  This time a Poinsettia.  I loved this project and ended up making two for my girls, and plan on making more.  They are perfect as a broach or as a hair clip.
IMG_8361
Here’s what you will need:
  • Small amount of red wool felt (I used scraps from another project.)
  • Very small amount of green wool felt (also scraps)
  • button
  • pin or hair clip
  • freezer paper
  • template  here is mysimple template, but I also found this wonderful template from Kaboose.  It has a few more petals than my simple flowers, but that might look even better, here’s the link: Kaboose Poinsettia Template
IMG_8373
1.  Start by tracing your pattern onto the paper side of a piece of freezer paper.
IMG_8375
2.  Cut out your template, and place it on your wool, waxy/shiny side down.
IMG_8378
3.  Using an iron set to wool, iron on the template.  It will gently stick to your fabric.
IMG_8382
4.  Using good scissors, cut out around the template.
IMG_8385
5.  Peel the template away from the wool.  It doesn’t leave a mark.  Isn’t that cool?
IMG_8387
6.  Repeat with the smaller flower.  I just set the button down to see how it would look.
IMG_8388
7.  Cut a 1 1/4 inch circle out of red or green felt.  Cut two small slits in the circle, just wide enough to slip a hair clip through.  This is for the back of the flower, on which to attach the clip or pin.
IMG_8394
8.  Using just the bottom flower, stitch the circle around the back of the flower.  I used white thread to show the stitching better in the photo… Yah, that was it.  It wasn’t because my machine was already threaded with white and I was lazy.  That wasn’t the reason at all.  I was just thinking of you.
9.  Somehow I missed taking a picture of cutting out the green center of the flower.  I cut my green with a fluted edge, which was a little tricky and requires good scissors.  You can also cut it in a circle, but in that case, I would choose a button with a fluted edge.  I was dying to try pinking scissors, but I don’t own any.  So I just cut the fluted edge out carefully.  Sometimes you just need to make it do.  The finished green center was a 7/8 inch circle fluted.
IMG_8405
10.  Layer just the smaller top flower, with green center and button on top.  And stitch together going through all three layers.
IMG_8406
11.  Glue the bottom and top flowers together using hot glue.

There’s a front and back view, with a hair clip attached.  I like that this flower is flexible, I can easily pull out the hair clip and I can slip in a broach pin to wear on a sweater, hat or scarf.
IMG_8362
Here it is pinned on a sweater…
IMG_8422
Thanks to an idea a reader told me about on Craftzine, I also thought this would make a perfect topper for a gift.  That way the wrapping is actually like giving another gift.  (Using cheap yarn is much, much cheaper than ribbon!)

No comments:

Post a Comment