Too Many Good Things Out There Not To Share Them With You!

Monday, December 21, 2009

All About a Clipboard

I never have been able to make my sweet clipboard look good. I tried writing on it but it ended up looking like a bad Napoleon Dynamite poster. Enter Scrap book paper. My happy friends over at Skip to My Lou have a great way to make a fun addition to your organizing tool box or a fun teacher gift.


 I used  small 6"X 9" clipboards  found  at OfficeMax ($1.69). The notepads are 5" X 8" 50 sheet Jr. size writing pads, found at Wal-mart (6 notepads were only $2.50).













I tried these two ways:

  




















First cut decorative paper to fit the clipboard.  For my clipboards 6" X 9" worked perfectly.  I took the extra time to make a template that fit around the top of the clip (a little bit of a pain).  I have also seen where there is just a rectangle shape cut to fit around the clip. My paper looked like this.




Paint the back of the paper with Mod Podge Paper (Matte) or spray with the Elmer's Spray Adhesive. If you are using spray adhesive also spray the clipboard. Cover the the clip with masking tape to keep it clean. Pay special attention to make sure which ever method used that the edges of the paper are completely covered. Working quickly, place the paper onto the clipboard. This is a bit tricky. It is okay to lift up and reposition until it matches all of the edges properly. Be careful not to stretch the paper. Smooth paper and make sure the entire piece of paper is secured.  When I had a spot along the edge that wasn't adhered, I lifted it slightly and added more glue.  Allow to dry at least 15 minutes before putting on top coat. Round off corners with scissors.





Give the top of the paper a light coat of Mod Podge Paper in matte  or two coats of spray matte finish.  I have to say I like the paper feel and look so I prefer the Krylon spray matte finish.



Glue a matching piece of decorative paper to the top of the notepad. Any glue will do.







To give the clipboard an extra nice touch I added a metal label holder. I taped them on with a piece of clear tape exactly where I wanted them and then my husband drilled holes in the metal clip so they could be attached with the brads included in the package.







I painted the metal holders and brads with gloss paint.  Open the clip as far as you can so you can attach the metal label holder and spread the brads apart on the back side of the clip.








Finished! I think I will put the recipient's name in the label holders.










So there you go. Frugal, fun and oh so pretty. Have fun out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment